[WLUG] The End of XP an Opportunity for Linux?

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 14:06:10 EDT 2014

Check for proprietary apps that require Windows.  Not everything works on
Wine.  Crossover Office may be better if they are using Access DBs on the
clients.

Vinagre and Remmina are clients for RDP.

Excluding proprietary app problems on the clients, you'll probably have
more problems with the hardware and users.

Old GPUs, especially integrated Intel (8xx series), SiS, and Via devices,
have limited support (if any).

Some old printers, scanners, and AiO multifunction devices don't work
well.  DeskJet 7xx (software-based "Winprinters"), Lexmark 6xx (and Dell
7xx equivalents), Visioneer OneTouch scanners, are either useless or not
worthing fighting with.  Many scanners will require firmware to be loaded
at boot.

Internet content filtering is practically non-existent.  DansGuardian is
barely maintained and won't support https/SSL/TLS filtering except by
domain name and IP.

If the systems are going to access files directly on the server then you'll
have to support SMB and logins.

If the clients are only using web browsers, thin-client hardware (and maybe
a new server with LTSP) may be better.  Main advantage is lower energy
consumption.