[WLUG] ISP question - ATT or Comcast near EMU

Dan Pritts danno at dogcheese.net
Thu Feb 20 09:54:16 EST 2014

IN terms of overall customer satisfaction, they both suck.  I’ve been told Comcast’s TV service is a little better than U-verse in terms of picture quality.

Comcast officially bans you from running “servers” on residential connections.  HOwever, they don’t block (at least most) inbound connections, and my DHCP IP address is typically the same for many months at a time.

Warning if you want to get comcast for voice.  There is no way to purchase your own voice gateway/modem - you have to rent theirs for something like $9/mo.  If you just get data you can buy any modem off of their compatibility list.  I’d go docsis3 if i were buying now, you won’t get full speed if you don’t.

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

I’d suggest asking neighbors what they have, and if it works well.  comcast tends to be good in some neighborhoods and not as good in others.