[WLUG] Msg. "Failed to install boot loader" when making Start up USB

gordon webb gordonwebb1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 10 20:25:42 EST 2014

Hello All

When making Start up USB I got the message "Failed to install boot
loader".  I am thinking this is why I have been unable to do an install
on my labtop.  What do I need to do to make a working start up USB
stick?

I am using a Dell Ispiron 530 with Ububtu 12.04 to creat the start up USB and following the directions at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

When I looked at what got saved on the USB stick their are 9 folders, 3
sheet icons, and one icon with gears labled wubi.exe.  I clicked on the
wubi.exe icon and the following came up in an "Archive Mannager" box:

An error ocured while loading the archive.

Archive:  /media/FF0B-3D95/wubi.exe
[/media/FF0B-3D95/wubi.exe]
End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not
a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the
latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
the last disk(s) of this archive.
note:  /media/FF0B-3D95/wubi.exe may be a plain executable, not an archive
zipinfo:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/FF0B-3D95/wubi.exe or
/media/FF0B-3D95/wubi.exe.zip, and cannot find /media/FF0B-3D95/wubi.exe.ZIP, period.

Gordon33