[WLUG] Anyone have experience in reflashing a BIOS?

john thiels jthiels at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 01:02:28 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I have a Lenovo laptop which ran Ubuntu faithfully for the last few
years.  After inserting an instructional CD-ROM which was designed to
be used with Windows/Mac, I believe that it messed with my boot
loader.  I started having trouble with it, backed up all of my files
and attempted to do a clean install of Ubuntu 14.04.  After the
initial flash screen, I have a grey rudimentary BIOS multi-boot screen
with 3 options and it will not load the OS from the hard drive.  I
swapped out the hard drive to a new one and reinstalled, but the
behavior is the same (hence, it appears to be the BIOS).

Does anyone have experience reflashing the BIOS?  That is one
operation I have never done before and perhaps it can be done with
FreeDOS--the executable provided by Lenovo is not the regular BIOS
file but an .exe file.

Thanks!  John