[WLUG] vnc4server

Carl T. Miller carl at carltm.com
Wed Nov 12 17:43:24 EST 2014

Michael Nelson wrote:
> I have Debian Wheezy installed on two computers with vnc4 server on one
> and vnc4 viewer on the other.  They work fine and communicate like they
> should.  Problem is that the server disconnects and cannot be recovered
> until you physically restart the machine, kinda defeats the whole purpose.
>  Sometimes it will run for a couple of days and sometimes only a few
> minutes.  Is there a way to adjust this so the server stays alive forever.
>  Don't want to go to the x11vnc unles that is the only
> option.

I've seen VNC set up various ways.  One way is to run it as
a service on and a user needs to log in to the OS after connecting.
Another is to run one instance per user on a set of ports.  Then
it's also possible to have either of these methods get started in
the inittab file, and have them respawn if they die for any reason.

So...my question is...how is vnc configured to start on your system?