[WLUG] partially working Samba service

Jim Irrer irrer at umich.edu
Mon Nov 24 13:40:11 EST 2014

Howdy -

I'm trying to get a Samba version 3.6.23 server working, and it's about 2%
functional.  From Windows 7, I mount the
directory with the following command:

net use m: '\\141.214.124.93\home' [password] /USER:irrer

On Windows I can do a directory list of the /home directory, but nothing
else.  I can not cat/type a file on
Windows, or do a directory listing on any subdirs under /home.

Just to eliminate one more source of problems, I have shut off iptables.  I
don't care about printers, just want
to access some Linux directories from Windows.  The password was set up on
Linux with the smbpasswd
command, and if I use the wrong one then the mount/'net use' command fails,
which confirms proper password
setup (right?).

I also have another Samba server 3.0.33 that I set up long ago that works
great from the same Windows desktop.

The /etc/samba/smb.config file with comments removed is:

[global]
        workgroup = umhs
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        client signing = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        security = user
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        load printers = yes
        cups options = raw
[homes]
    browsable = no
    map archive = yes
[home]
        browseable = yes
        read only = no
        path = /home

Thanks,

- Jim

Jim Irrer     irrer at umich.edu       (734) 647-4409
University of Michigan Hospital Radiation Oncology
519 W. William St.             Ann Arbor, MI 48103-4943