[WLUG] Do you know of a cheap Domain Registrar?

Mark Montague markmont at umich.edu
Sun Aug 2 09:52:03 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-02 02:01, Terry L Ann Arbor wrote:
>     I have registered Domains with GoDaddy for years, but they keep
> jacking up their prices.  Please tell me the name of a good, cheap,
> Domain Registrar that you have used.  Thank you.

I have used and been very happy with http://hover.com/ for many years.
I selected them because they are owned by Tucows / OpenSRS which I had
dealt with via my employer for decades.  Plus, they are in Canada, which
is hopefully bonus in terms of possible judicial concerns.

A registrar with excellent reputation for freedom and privacy is Gandi,
https://www.gandi.net/   It was a tossup for me between Gandi and Hover
when registering my domains.

As far as "cheap":  I find that most people are weirdly price sensitive
and cause themselves a lot of trouble because of this. $2, $5 or even
$10/year extra for a *good* registrar with a proven track record and
excellent service is nothing, if it saves you even one headache, phone
call, or trouble ticket.  (Unless you have dozens or hundreds of domains
for some reason; I only have two).  We think nothing of paying
$100/month for a cell phone or even more for cable TV, but we twist
registrar's arms hard to save $0.42/month and then often wind up
regretting it.

--
   Mark Montague
   markmont at umich.edu