[WLUG] Crouton Followup Mark II

jlk at osml.eu jlk at osml.eu
Fri Oct 16 20:15:02 EDT 2015

Last night there was some confusion over how Crouton/Chrome/X-win
interact.  It is possible to run the Crouton-Linux desktop in an
instance of Chrome window while also running the ChromeOS desktop.  You
can find the details here:
https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/wiki/crouton-in-a-Chromium-OS-window-(xiwi)

from github article

xiwi  (X11 in a Window) works by creating a window in Chrome and
channeling a virtual X11 framebuffer over to it. While crouton transfers
the framebuffer relatively efficiently, there's no GPU acceleration and
a fair bit of overhead, so don't expect games or graphics-heavy desktop
environments to perform well. For basic productivity use it works great,
though.

I've had this running on my Chromebox and really liked it.  Great
functionality.  Alt+Tab to switch between the Crouton-Linux Desktop and
Chrome OS.  Copy and Paste between the two systems, and you get the
smallest, fastest kernel with the best device drivers for the Chrome
book/box/base hardware.  Sweet!