[WLUG] Tricky Routing Question

Shawn Hughes sh at brightonit.us
Sun Nov 6 21:56:18 EST 2016

An other option is to get a router with multiple WAN interfaces.
pfSense will do exactly what you are asking:  reply via the WAN
interface on which the request originated.
   (see: https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=60537.0 )
Assuming your needs are modest, you can build one for very little:
  . recycled desktop PC:  a Core 2 Duo is plenty for most small
businesses (do use a 64bit cpu); 2 - 4GB of RAM.
  . older server NIC (Intel chipset recommended): you can find Dell
YT674 / Intel Pro/1000 VT Quad GB on ebay for $15.
  . storage: can run from 8GB of USB Flash, but I usually go with a
cheap 64GB SSD, or if you're feeling lucky, any drive you have. Here's
the guidelines from pfSense: https://www.pfsense.org/hardware/

That said, if you only have a couple servers, my first answer (adding
server interfaces) will likely take less time than migrating your
firewall rules.

--
Shawn Hughes
Manager