[WLUG] Need talk for Oct 19 meeting

Charles Dayringer dayringer at izzy.net
Sun Oct 15 14:20:34 EDT 2017

Ubuntu Studio 17.04 - HP laptop

I suddenly cannot play cd's, either on my built-in cd/dvd tray, or on my
usb cd/dvd device.

I get a gstreamer backend error.

Anyone else encounter that or have any ideas about that?

Searches don't turn up much for it.

Yesterday I put a cd in, and it stuck, wouldn't show up on the
filesystem, wouldn't eject, didn't play. It was inserted properly. I
ignored it & watched a movie on TV. 1 1/2 hours later, while watching a
movie - the CD suddenly started to play! I finally was able to eject it.
Now the cd tray will not open, even though it is empty. I tried using my
external cd/dvd usb drive, but only get a gstreamer backend error -
"cannot open the cd device for reading". If I mount the cd & try playing
one of the .wav files I get a different error. I can play local files
from my hard drive OK. I can copy the .wav files from the cd to my disc
drive OK, & play them from there.

It was all working OK in the morning before this happened.

Huh?

-cd