[WLUG] GCC compiling help - No TUN device

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Fri Jul 20 17:40:53 EDT 2018

Greetings Lane and Rick,

Lane Hoy said:
> The tun/tap functionality is related to network interface bridging and
> is probably part of the linux kernel packages on your system.  My first
> guess is that you need to install the kernel source packages and kernel
> header packages.

    o  Did an install of kernel-package (APT said that contained
       kernel-headers)  -- NO JOY

    o  Did an install of linux-source-4.13.0 -- NO JOY

On Fri, 20 Jul 2018, Rick Green wrote:

> Does Debian have a package for JNOS?  It's probably old source that you want
> to mess with, but if there is a jnos package, then there will be a jnos-dev
> meta-package which will pull in all the dependencies necessary for
> compilation.

    Nowadays we get the latest source files from Maiko's website by using
the rsync command:  rsync -a www.langelaar.net::jnos2 <path>

> On my ubuntu system, tun.c appears to have come from the JNOS tarball itself,
> and tun.h and if_tun.h are part of the current kernel headers package, which
> I believe is pulled in by build-essential.  Have you
>    apt-get install build-essential

    I think you may be right, Rick, I think the 'tun' code is provided by
JNOS.  So JNOS needs to load and execute, then the 'tun' interface *must*
be configured on the JNOS end *before( it can be configured on the Linux
side (via 'shell <command>).

>  The tunnel interface is part of the standard kernel, but it is implemented
> as a module, which is not loaded by default at boot, so before you can
> configure a tun interface you have to `modprobe tun`.
> Google found me this:
>     https://www.techonia.com/1400/create-tunnel-interface-linux
>
> ...but you don't need to do that to compile, just before you want to run
> jnos.

    That URL shows the commands used when the 'tun' pacjage is already
present.  Yeah, tried insmo/lsmod already - NO JOY.   Looks like I gotta
get the JNOS source code to compile before a TUN device will be available.

    So I have emailed the NOS-BBS mailing list (cc: Maiko) for further
assistance...

    Thanks guys!

       --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL