[WLUG] Question which distro?

Scott Webster Wood treii28 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 18 13:07:06 EDT 2020

Yeah, I'd probably be prone to recommend Lubuntu or Xubuntu for such a machine, but Ubuntu mate does still support 32 bit.  However, I'm going to throw in a caveat, as -- if you are green to linux in general --  you may be adding headaches trying to use an old piece of hardware while still learning your way around.

That doesn't mean you can't use it, but you may want to also have a second linux running somewhere on more current hardware. i.e. as something to 'compare' to when you run into headaches so you know if it's something in general or something specific to the old, out-of-date hardware on the device in question.

There are a couple of options to do that.  You can run from a live image where you run a linux off a CD.  Many distros support live images. This basically amounts to running a software linux on another platform such as windows.  You can do something similar with a virtualbox or other virtual machine image.  You can set up an additional partition and 'dual boot' an existing windows machine (giving you the option to re-boot and run linux instead - on some modern processors, more than one OS can be run at the same time without using a software virtual machine)

Of those three (live, virtual-machine, dual-boot) the 'live' is probably the easiest to deal with. But there are other inexpensive options such as buying a raspberry pi or other SBC in the $10-40 range and installing a raspbian (debian) or other image on it.

SW
---- Barack-O-phobia: The fear of politicians who think (more) government is the solution to every problem.

    On Thursday, June 18, 2020, 09:13:29 AM EDT, Clif Flynt <clif at cflynt.com> wrote:

 On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 12:38:24AM -0400, Jeff Hanson wrote:
> The CPU is 32-bit only.  Many distros have dropped 32-bit support.  In the
> Ubuntu family 18.04 had the last 32-bit release.  Lubuntu or Xubuntu would
> be my recommendation.

  I'll second the Lubuntu suggestion. That's Ubuntu with LXDE - and
skips the extra step of installing LXDE after the system is installed.

  Clif

--
... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cflynt.com ... clif at cflynt.com ....
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (3'd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..