[WLUG] The End of XP an Opportunity for Linux?

Clif Flynt CLIF at CFLYNT.COM
Thu Apr 10 08:24:27 EDT 2014

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 07:50:46AM -0400, Chris Baty wrote:
> One more question: if I ha a bunch of ubuntu boxes, all with a myAdmin
> account and a DSA key, can I do something like a 'myAdmin@* apt-get install
> requiredPackage'?

Another potential solution would be LTSP linux.

This is a diskless-node implementation of Linux where
everything boots off the server.  It's popular with places
like libraries and schools that want to fully scrub a system
between uses.

One advantage is that when you update the server, all the clients
are automatically updated.

I've used LTSP for a couple small projects over the years.  It's
worked well for me, but I wasn't coping with folks who expected
Windows-XP style interactions.

Clif

--
... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cwflynt.com ... clif at cflynt.com ...
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (3'd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..