[WLUG] The End of XP an Opportunity for Linux?

Derek DeJonghe mittendevelopment at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 08:57:03 EDT 2014

Chris,

At that point where you have to repeatedly do something to multiple
boxes, I would suggest configuration management. With SaltStack I'm able
to do remote execution over countless boxes. For instance, I just ran
yum update -y on 3 machines that needed PAM updated. This would have
worked the same if I had 300 machines. I didn't read this entire thread
but it sounds as if you've a lot of xp boxes to administer, have you
ever used group policy? Configuration management works much the same way.

There are a lot of different variations of Config management to chose
from, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, SaltStack, CFengine.

I believe I'm set to present on SaltStack at the next Wlug meeting on
the 17th. If you've more then one box to administer you may find this
talk interesting and useful.

Best
-Derek DeJonghe.