[WLUG] ISP question - ATT or Comcast near EMU

Jay Nugent jjn at nuge.com
Thu Feb 20 12:23:10 EST 2014

Greetings,

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014, S Motheram wrote:

> Hi,
> I need to choose an ISP. I have a rental property close to EMU.
> What do you suggest - ATT or Comcast or other.

    Comcast *can* be the worst experience of your life with regard to
customer service.  Total clueless cronnies!

    ATT-Uverse customer service is MUCH better at resolving the issues
without requiring a truck roll to your home/office.  I think they
understand their system better and have better diagnostic tools and know
how to use them.

    Comcast delivers service over coax.  Signals need to be amplified along
the way.  Amps up on telephone poles need power, and they don't have much
in the way of battery backup, so a power outage a couple blocks away can
cause your service to go dead.

    ATT-Uverse delivers service over DSL.  Copper pair all the way from the
DSLAM inside the telco Central Office (or sometimes from the telco shed in
your neighborhood) to your home.  NOT affected by power outages (except
for the telco shed - but they oftentimes have WAY longer backup power
and/or small gen-sets built in).

    My suggestion is Provide.net in Ypsilanti.  Local business, been around
a LONG time, and the customer service is EXCELLENT!!! (Say "Hi" to Mark
for me).  They are also delivered via DSL.  (888)480-4200

    Oh!  And with ProvideNet you get *STATIC* IP addresses.  Typically
just one address, but they sell additional IP addresses for a little
extra.  So running your own servers is NOT a problem.   And they WILL
delegate the PTR record to your own DNS server if you wish, or they will
do PTR for you.

    Enjoy!
       --- Jay Nugent

         () ascii ribbon campaign in
         /\ support of plain text e-mail

  o Averaging at least 3 days of MTBWTF!?!?!?
  o The solution for long term Internet growth is IPv6.
  o "To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he
     disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -Thomas Jefferson
| Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)649-0850/Cell       |
|   Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]                            |
|   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design              |
| ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |