[WLUG] ISP question - ATT or Comcast near EMU

Paul Wehr lugwash at paulwehr.com
Fri Feb 21 12:08:43 EST 2014

On 02/20/2014 12:23 PM, Jay Nugent wrote:
> Comcast *can* be the worst experience of your life with regard to
> customer service.
I agree WRT their "consumer" service, but for ~$69/mo (as opposed to
~$59 IIRC), you can get a "business" internet service, which, in my
experience, is like passing through to Narnia.  Live tech support in
minutes (that will tell just you to unplug and plug in the device). A
truck call-out that arrives within 4 hours of the call *on a Sunday*.
and speedof.me shows 20/3.7 Mbps.  It's been down maybe 5 times in the
12 years I've had it.  (and no, I have no phone or TV service either,
although they do keep mailing me solicitations for it).

I run an IPCop firewall behind a dynamic IP (for which the DNS is
updated automatically by IPCop at afraid.org), behind which I run
standard and secure HTTP servers, VPNs, SSH and Mail (SMTP and IMAP)
without any trouble or complaint from Comcast.

In contrast, I had a client (near Arborland) that had Uverse, and trying
to navigate their incestuous relationship with Yahoo for email, and
configuring it to accept SMTP email from their server was very
non-intuitive, and clunky (but not impossible).  For whatever reason it
would often (5-6 times/year) get disconnected two hops upstream.

I just offer these as anecdotal reports, FWIW.  YMMV.