[WLUG] WashLUG mailman server message reposting problem

Thomas Valerio tjv at westwood-tech.com
Wed Mar 19 00:21:09 EDT 2014

All,
  As you can see, the message below is a very old message that was
reposted to the list, and as I am sure you know there were many others.
I wasn't paying very close attention to my email this afternoon/evening,
however, Mike Bernson was and he was kind enough to call me around
6:30p.m. to let me know about the all of the old messages that were
being reposted.  At that point I immediately shut down the mailman
server to stop the reposting.  After some sleuthing, I determined that
intentionally or not a mail loop existed that was basically resulting in
the list being spammed with it's own content.  I made an attempt to
clear out the files that I thought were causing this problem when I
restarted the mailman server at just after 11:00 p.m. this evening.  I
obviously got that wrong however since several more old messages were
reposted.  I made a second attempt to clear out the files that were
causing this problem and I am pretty sure I succeeded on the second try.
 Please accept my apologies for not catching this sooner and for not
getting it right before restarting mailman.  In any event, I believe out
mailman server is now back up and running correctly.

   Thomas Valerio
     WashLUG Admin