[WLUG] A couple of questions...

Gary Morr gpmorr at comcast.net
Thu Sep 11 03:14:34 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, September 10, 2014 01:49:41 PM Rick Green wrote:
> 1) I'm setting up an external hard drive that I'll use for audio files. It
> needs to be mountable and writable on both Linux and Mac OSX systems. What
> filesystem would I select to optimize reliability and I/O thruput on both of
> these systems?
>
> 2) I'd like to set up a multi-boot system, with each OS mounting the same
> volume for my home directory.  I have problems, however, with application
> configuration files getting corrupted from a different version of the same.
> Is there some way I can set up a filesystem so that all of the 'dot' files
> in my home directory are stored on the OS boot drive, and all the 'regular'
> files are on my separate home drive, mounted as an 'overlay', so that as a
> user I see all of them appearing to be in one home directory?

2).  Place a directory on each OS drive readable and writeable by only you.
Put your home drive on another partition.  Move your .config files to the OS
drive directories.  Add links in your home directory to the .config files on the
OS drives.  Of course the paths and directory names must be the same.

I have not tried this but it is the best I can come up with at the moment.
How about it guys, we have some good people out there.  Any other ideals?