[WLUG] A couple of questions...

Dan Pritts danno at dogcheese.net
Wed Sep 10 15:38:58 EDT 2014

On Sep 10, 2014, at 1:49 PM, Rick Green <rtgreen at chartermi.net> wrote:

> 1) I'm setting up an external hard drive that I'll use for audio files. It
> needs to be mountable and writable on both Linux and Mac OSX systems. What
> filesystem would I select to optimize reliability and I/O thruput on both of
> these systems?

Here are the options I know about.

1) NTFS  with FUSE on both sides
2) ext with Paragon’s commercial ext driver for macos (FUSE ext options don’t look great).
3) FAT32 or exFAT
4) ZFS

I haven’t used the paragon ext driver.  If it works well it is likely the best option.

NTFS will probably work OK.

If you do FAT32 note that with a larger cluster size you can have semi-reasonable sized partitiions, 32GB I think.    The defaults, which windows will give you,  give a max 2GB I think.

zfsonlinux works well in my limited experience.

I can’t speak to the stability of the mac ZFS options. This one looks reasonable: http://open-zfs.org/wiki/OpenZFSOnOSX

Alternatively, put everything on linux, have linux dual-boot on bare hardware and as a VM on MacOS.
Have linux share out its native home partition via NFS.  Not sure how reasonable this is - e.g., can you
get a VM running pre-login?

Warning, macos filesystems are case-insensitive by default.  I had trouble when i
formatted an HFS+ filesystem as case-sensitive, some software just broke.  So NTFS might
be a better fit.