[WLUG] Switch to Ubuntu?

gordon webb gordonwebb1 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 1 12:19:48 EST 2015

 Hello Jeff  Hanson, Clif Flynt,  and Peter Bart
Thank you all for your response.
JeffI will work some more on the printer.  It is good to hear the computer is compatible with Linux.  Then the  other lap top was working with only Ubuntu, and the printer ran fine so I know you are correct it will print with Linux.  With the old lap top I found it was also difficult to do a dual- boot.  So I just did a clean in stall of Ubuntu and wiped out the windows.  Its sad to here this lap top will also be difficult.
ClifThe live install is a good idea.  Your note on the "warranty, you may need to leave Windows on it to get any repair done." Was sad news and I am guessing you are correct.  So I will be living with windows for the next year.  If I thought I could do a dual- boot would that stop the warranty?
PeterI am guessing Ubuntu is all the things you recommended   Peter Bart wrote: "make sure it is the long  term supported/extended life time/rolling release rather than
 an intermediate update or a rescue/test/development version.