[WLUG] Winate

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 23:38:37 EST 2015

The apps they need is probably more important than the desktop.  They can
probably learn XFCE easily enough.  Try having them use OOo, Gimp, and
other F/OSS tools on XP first.  Then try a Linux system.  If they insist on
M$ Office then you'll have to use Wine.  If they have to fill out PDF forms
then you'll need to get Adobe Reader working.  Flash can also be a problem
for Firefox but you can use Chrome which Adobe still supports.

Also test for hardware compatibility.  Cameras, printers and scanners are
usually the problem areas.