[WLUG] cvs via ssh : preserve content authorship

Jim Irrer irrer at umich.edu
Fri Jan 6 17:09:44 EST 2017

I've been tasked with moving our CVS repository to a new host, and for
security reasons
want to change from using pserver to using ssh.

It's mostly working, except that when a client checks something in, the
history indicates that
the change was made by user cvs instead of the the actual user (eg irrer).
There is a cvs user set up on
the server machine receiving all requests.

The .ssh/authorized_keys file has entries of the form (all on one line):

command="/usr/bin/cvs server",no-port-forwarding,no-
pty,no-X11-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding ssh-rsa
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAADAQABAAABAQCofHvy3hg3+JoC1htSaIAaftCC/
Ud0NY003pu7xxR+WFLIHSwj+ITOVUXJqZ1faqsf1NvPGDAqpOGibxd5PNX1RBa/
5iztxCuc1SgjNgbkf6jKbE+cu+WW9JhQoFdTOxnOa7j/eJi4eoDW44O2MJkVtZV9vuId6BmByP
OCUfli0STq8Jv/vCVEKettw25TqAj+VkRyQlixhSs1I8tIFSCbT6syanzoXJOvlbbFWKIhCi+
Un069y8Ikj8ehOK0NTpfcq/zThXOkqP52ycLTv8OTrxX8qoi/
f6ACFx2hIm8yGlXrPzVusnrWHriVFMZV7z8uw26y99znRiEzQ8K4t+eN irrer at WSRO1014

The CVSROOT environment values are:

CVSROOT=:ext:cvs at CVS.HOST.MACHINE:/data/CVSBASE/research
CVS_RSH=ssh

I was thinking maybe that there would be a command line option to add to
the "/usr/bin/cvs server" to specify the author but can not find anything.

Thanks for any advice,

- Jim

Jim Irrer     irrer at umich.edu       (734) 647-4409
University of Michigan Hospital Radiation Oncology
519 W. William St.             Ann Arbor, MI 48103-4943