[WLUG] Rumkin follow-up

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 23:50:54 EST 2018

Ringtone installation is finally working.

I went to the source and emailed the rumkin site admin. He thanked me
for the email (!), fixed the broken link to his latest copy, and sent
me info on gcd files. But it turns out I can create them manually
after all.

It also turns out that the mimes.type file on grex(*) has mp3 files
listed as audio/mpeg, not audio/mp3. So I changed the gcds
accordingly, and it worked.

Grex's mime.types has no entry for gcd files, and Sprint for some
reason blocks Sprint phones from html-ing other Sprint phones. So the
necessary setup is:

* Put the mp3 files on grex
* Put the gcd files on the Android phone, with the Content type set to
audio/mpeg, and the Content-URL pointing to its mp3 on grex
* Load each gcd in UC Browser. (It uses a proxy server so Sprint sees
a non-Sprint IP address)
* Accept the ringtone as if it were coming from rumkin.

It's a bit clunky as you can see. But it does work. I'll next see if I
can get grex to add gcd capability to its server.

* What I still don't understand is the entire concept of a mime-types.
Why can't a server just send whatever file it's asked for, if it has
it, and let the client worry about what to do with it?