[WLUG] Rumkin follow-up

Drew drew4096 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 14:16:58 EST 2018

I've gotten a little bit closer.

I've edited the gcd files that the older Rumkin setup - the version
that doesn't use a Database - produces to replace octet/datastream
with audio/mp3 and put them on the Android phone, pointing to their
mp3s on grex.

Now when I use UC Browser on a gcd on the Android phone, it gives me
an Open File option, which then opens a copy of the gcd on UCB's
sever, then gives me the expected Untrusted warning. When I select
Proceed, it finds the mp3 on grex, recognizes it as a Ringtone,
downloads it exactly twice, then balks with a 905 Attribute Mismatch
error.

I've extracted the ringers directory tree from one of the previous
phones. Each ringer is stored as a directory names ????? containing
files ?????, ?????.dsc, and header.inf where ????? is a five digit
number. ?????.dsc has exactly the contents of a .gcd file, and diff -s
says that each ????? and it corresponding mp3 file are identical.

Simply transplanting one of these directories between phones does not
work; the files copy over but the entry does not appear in the
Ringtones menu. If anyone would take a look at the gcds, I've also put
them on grex (though trying to load them from there results in "cannot
display the content"). They, and some other test files may be found at
http dot www dot grex dot org slash squigly-line drew slash filename.
Filenames include
ActionStations.gcd
StarTrekAlert.gcd
beep720.gcd