[WLUG] Web wizardry....

Mark J. Bobak mark at bobak.net
Sun Jan 14 13:44:15 EST 2018

Ok, probably not wizardry....but, as Arthur C. Clarke said, "Any
sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  ;-)

Seriously though, I'm *really* not a web guy...at all!

Here's what's going on:
We use an online service called PDFCrowd to convert HTML to PDF.  We make a
call to a webservice, pass a URL of the HTML to be converted, and it
returns PDF.

The problem is, some of the servers that hold the HTML to be converted, are
now behind a firewall.  So, this is broken.

Our environment is on AWS, so, for those of you familiar, we have a VPC
(Virtual Private Cloud), that has private and public subnets.  The problem
hosts are in private subnet, so, have only private IP.  Access is achieved
by being in the office, where we have an always-on VPN tunnel, or via
SSLVPN client and two-factor authentication.

So, I'm thinking I need some type of proxy (maybe the wrong term) running
on host in public subnet, which can accept incoming connection from
PDFCrowd, and connect back to private host on private subnet to retrieve
the HTML and pass it back to PDFCrowd.

So, I want host on public IP, call it pub, to act as intermediary, connect
to host on private IP, call it priv, and pull the HTML and return it.

Not sure where to begin.....is this a proxy?  Squid?  Something else?
Server-side script on pub?

Any thoughts or advice to point me in the right direction, would be
appreciated.

AdvThanksance.

-Mark