[WLUG] The End of XP an Opportunity for Linux?

alanbenard%40pobox.com alanbenard at comcast.net
Thu Apr 10 11:26:06 EDT 2014

After returning to Linux at work following a break, I decided I needed a home machine. I have a Compaq Evo 800n (circa 2005) now dualbooting XP and Xubuntu. I love how Xubuntu lives comfortably in 5 Gb, but I'm about ready to give it the rest of the drive and kill XP.

The real test was giving the machine to my wife, who can read Webmail and that's about it. Once she understood the analog for the Start button and how to find the applications, she ignored the platform entirely -- she was comfortable. As a bonus, Skype and our Logitech Webcam work even better on Xubuntu.

Alan Benard
WCC '11
BPI Information Systems, Inc.