[WLUG] Does Hard Drive's Firmware need to be transfered?

Mark Bobak mark at bobak.net
Mon Feb 10 23:59:40 EST 2014

So, you're replacing your existing drive with a new drive, same make and
model?

No, you shouldn't need to touch the firmware on the drive.  In my
experience, drive firmware rarely needs to be updated.  The only case I
remember, was a case where there was a nasty bug.  It was many years, and I
don't remember the details.

In general, however, when you swap drives, there should be no reason to
need to touch the firmware.

-Mark