[WLUG] Does Hard Drive's Firmware need to be transfered?

Ethan Allen lodis4 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 11:50:39 EST 2014

I have replaced hundreds of hard drives over the years and none have
ever given me trouble. There are some specific security setups that read
disk/device serial number, however, if you were in such a situation: 1.
transferring firmware would not help resolve the serial number change
and 2. I doubt you would have presented this question to the group as
you would be aware of the answer already.

In most cases, especially running Linux, you can pop in a new drive and
start installing new software immediately.

As an aside, at the enterprise level I have updated disk firmware on HP
hardware for various reasons, mostly due to poor performance or
increased visibility and reporting on hardware health.

Hope this helps.