[WLUG] Msg. "Failed to install boot loader" when making Start up USB

john thiels jthiels at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 00:57:19 EST 2014

No problem.  So some follow-up questions:

1)  Is your HP laptop running?  If so and you have internet, then try this:
Upgrading from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

To upgrade from 10.04 LTS on a desktop system before then, upgrade over the
network with the following procedure.

   1. Start System/Administration/Software Sources
   2. On the Updates tab, set Show new distribution releases: to Long term
   support releases only, then press Close.
   3. Press Alt-F2 and type update-manager -d
      1. Click the Check button to check for new updates. If there are any
      updates to install, use the Install Updates button to install them, and
      press Check again after that is complete.
      2. A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new
      release. Click Upgrade.
   Follow the on-screen instructions.

This was found on:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes#From_10.04_LTS_to_12.04_LTS>
and
read those carefully.

2) If this doesn't help, which of the methods did you use to make your USB
stick on this page?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Install_and_run_usb-creator